I wish I knew why the process to buy Machu Picchu tickets was so complicated and not intuitive at all. Regardless, let’s focus on getting those tickets so you can enjoy one of the greatest wonders of the world!
I. Go to the official, Machu Picchu ticket sales website
Cultural Ministry of Peru website: Official, Machu Picchu Tickets
Note: The website takes some time to load and requires Flash.
- Select your preferred language
- Select Machu Picchu
- Select the type of ticket (6 options) [Pictures further below]
- Machu Picchu (1er Turno) – Entrance to Machu Picchu between 6AM-12PM only [You can stay all day]
- Machu Picchu (2do Turno) – Entrance to Machu Picchu between 12PM-6PM only
- Machu Picchu + Montaña 7AM-8AM – Entrance to Machu Picchu and a nearby mountain in the area between 7AM-8AM only
- Machu Picchu +Montaña 9AM-10AM – Entrance to Machu Picchu and a nearby mountain in the area between 9AM-10AM only
- Machu Picchu + Wayna Picchu 1G 7AM-8AM – Entrance to Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu between 7AM-8AM only
- Machu Picchu + Wayna Picchu 2G 10AM-11AM – Entrance to Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu between 10AM-11AM only
- Select the date
- Choose the amount of people under Cantidad (Count)**
- Press Paso 2 (Step 2)
*Disponibilidad shows how many tickets are left for that day.
**The Extranjeros (Foreigners) section is for most visitors. If you are Peruvian, Bolivian, Colombian, or Ecuadorian then you fall under the Nacionales y Comunidad Andina (Nationals and Andean Community) and pay a lower fee
Keep in Mind: If you purchase a ticket with an entrance to one of the mountains, you must arrive between the designated time. You will not be allowed in to visit that specific mountain otherwise.
II. Fill in your personal details
- Put your first & middle name (nombres), last name(s) (apellidos), your sex (sexo), passport country (pais), age (edad), select PAS-PASAPORT for document type (Tipo Doc.), and put your passport number (Nro. Doc)
- Double check that your personal details are correct. Once confirmed, press Paso 3 (Step 3)
III. Complete the reservation process
- Enter your email address
- Triple check your name and passport number
- Check off both boxes:
- La informacion proporcienda es correcta (The information provided is correct)
- He leido y acepto los Terminos y Condiciones (I’ve read and accept the Terms & Conditions)
- Press Reservar (Reserve)
IV. Confirm the details on your reservation
Verify that your details are correct. Right down the Reservation Code circled below which will be used in the next step to pay.
Important Note: You will have 3 hours to complete the payment process in the next few steps before your reservation is nullified.
V. Input your reservation code
- Click on Pagos (Payments)
- Input the code from your reservation
- Press Pagar (Pay)
VI. Confirm you are not a robot
- Follow the captcha instructions
- Press Enviar (Send)
VII. Make the payment
Fill in your credit card information & email. Press Pagar (Pay)
Important Note: Currently, VISA is the only payment method accepted. You may have to call your credit card company if the payment fails.
VIII. Save and Print your ticket
Once you complete your payment, your official ticket should appear. In case you x’d out of the pop up, you can follow the below steps to retrieve it:
- Press Check-In
- Input the code from your reservation
- Press Buscar (Search)
Be sure to save and print your ticket!
- Print everything and bring it. This includes the actual ticket and reservation. Make sure there are No Errors!
- Bring the credit card used to pay your ticket
- You are considered an adult if you are 18 years or over. Children which are 7 and under are free (no registration required). Youth are 8-17 years old and can receive a discount by following these instructions: Children Instruction
- You will NOT be allowed entry to any of the mountains outside of the hour time-slot permitted (e.g. 7AM-8AM, 9AM-10AM, or 10AM-11AM)
- You will NOT be allowed entry to Machu Picchu outside of the slot selected. (e.g. 1er Turno 6AM-12PM or 2do Turno 12PM-6PM)
- If you purchased Machu Picchu + Wayna Picchu 1G 7AM-8AM and arrive after 8AM to the Machu Picchu entrance, you will NOT be allowed to trek up Wayna Picchu. However, you are still allowed the general entrance to Machu Picchu (e.g. Machu Picchu 1er Turno)
- Buy your tickets online in advance! There are a limited number of slots (especially for Wayna Picchu), so make sure you get yours booked!
I hope you have an amazing trip and enjoy 1 of the 7 Wonders of the World! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Safe Travels!
© 2019, Traveling is my Religion, All Rights Reserved